Fire Chief Mark Meaker
Chief Meaker began his fire service career in 1971 in Sacramento, California, and worked his way up through the ranks working for what is now known as the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District. Chief Meaker spent eight (8) years as a company officer, six (6) as a battalion chief, five (5) years as an Operations assistant chief and 13 years as a fire chief before becoming the Fire Chief for City of North Bend on November 18, 2013.
Chief Meaker has an AA degree in Fire Technology, a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, a Masters degree in Public Administration. He is a Certified Chief Officer with the State of California and has received Chief Fire Officer designation by the International Commission on Chief Fire Officer Designation. Chief Meaker has a proven record of working very well with both fire district boards and city councils, as well as with a district general manager and two different mayors.
North Bend Fire Department was formed in 1904 and through the years has evolved to a combination paid/volunteer fire department.
Other department career personnel include: Assistant Chief Jim Brown, Captain/Training Officer Brian Waddington, A- Shift Lieutenant John Lucero, B-Shift Lieutenant Rick Cooper, C-Shift Lieutenant Steve Cooper, Firefighter Mike Lucero, Firefighter Chris Cook, Firefighter Luke Rector, and Firefighter John Klynman.
We have volunteer firefighters who respond to all types of calls and Volunteer Deputy Chief Leroy Griggs and Volunteer Captain Ralph Dunham lead them.
North Bend Fire & Rescue handles over 1,600 calls for service a year. The types of calls are fire suppression, EMS medical, wildland, dive-rescue, water rescue, marine firefighting, and ARFF airport rescue firefighting. We stand-by every commercial scheduled flight 24-7 with two different airlines servicing our community. Our department has an outstanding Class 3 ISO insurance rating.
The North Bend Fire Department is involved with the North Bend Schools all during the year with fire prevention activities. We host many tours with rides in our converted kid hauler 1949 Mack fire truck (and many adults). We have participated with the North Bend High School during fire prevention since 1957 with our Miss Flame contest. All the students vote for the court and who is going to be Miss Flame to reign over Fire Prevention Week.
Each year North Bend Fire & Rescue is involved with community activities, we have our annual pancake breakfast that serves over 800 citizens which is held every year on Palm Sunday. We have an open house that provides 1800 adults and children a wonderful time during fire prevention week. Our department distributes 30 families, gifts, food, and bicycles at Christmas time for our Kids at Christmas program. Back Pack for Kids is another program the department promotes giving 50 students backpacks and all the school-required items they need for the school year.
The goals of the North Bend Fire Department for the next three to five years under the new fire chief include:
1. Improve our training program by introducing more live fire training experiences.
2. Enhancing the capabilities of our volunteer personnel by training specially selected members as fire apparatus drivers and pump operators.
3. Improving emergency staffing coverage by further utilizing day staff personnel in a back up role.
4. Adopting new tactics and equipment to cope with structure fire challenges in the face of recent staffing reductions.
5. Improving recruitment and retention of volunteer personnel.
6. Continue and enhance the vibrancy and effectiveness of our "sleeper" or college student firefighter resident program.
7. Improve morale of department personnel and further enhance the relations between the fire department and the city council, the city administration and other city departments.
8. Further enhance our already excellent customer service by advancing beyond meeting our customer's expectations to consistently exceeding their expectations.
Office hours Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm. Closed on Holidays.
Fire services are operating 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.
You may reach Fire Chief Meaker at 541-756-8580 or e-mail.